Archive for June, 2011

I finished my shawlette last week.  I am LOVING the results!  I used about 300 yards of Regia 4ply color in a slightly varigated pastel shade.  I have had this yarn for years, but really never had a good use for it until this shawlette.  I’m just so happy with it!

The pattern was just complex enough to keep me interested, but small enough to keep me interested.  🙂  I really like the “top down” design.  It made it so much easier to complete as the rows were bigger while I was still initially motivated.

I think it blocked out very nicely- all the yarn overs are easily seen.

Thank you WendyKnits for a wonderful, fun knit-along!

Specs: Size 5 aluminum needles.  Sock weight yarn.

And what else have I been up to?  Stay tuned…


Read Full Post »

Spinning Foibles

I got my wheel fixed.  My Ashford Traveller.  Let me back up. I decided to spin again- it’s been a while- and pulled out the hand-dyed roving I made last spring at my dying class (green, orange and white) and started in.  Then snap! The flexible nylon piece that connects the treadle to the wheel broke. Foiled! Luckily I have an Ashford supplier about a half hour from here, so I ran down and got a new piece.  All good to go!

I spun the singles and then navajo plied, since I wasn’t sure how the colors would blend in a 2-ply.  I think the colors turned out alright, but not as vivid as I’d thought.

I ended up with about 130 yards of 3-ply.  Not a whole lot, so I looked for a small project and settled on a head wrap I saw on the Yarnivore podcast.  I got within 3 inches of finishing and ran out of yarn.  Phooey.  I set the yarn aside for a day or two and discovered this…

Hey ma!  The dog ate my yarn!  Again!  Sigh…

But, I think it was a good first step back into  spinning.  I think I’ll be pulling out the wheel more often since I have some lovely bamboo and silk to try.

Read Full Post »

Summer Mystery Shawlette

I’ve been working on the mystery shawlette from WendyKnits that is so popular this summer.  I’ve been watching video podcasts for the past few weeks so I don’t have to use so much paper on the sock clues (for the Sock Knitter’s Anonymous Artichoke mystery sock) and it seems that most of the women I’m listening to are joining in on this shawlette.  I can’t say I’m a huge shawl fan, but this one is done bottom up, so it gets smaller as you go and is much more manageable than starting small.  I (and I’m sure many of you) get bogged down as a project grows and I tend to give up before I’m done.  This one?  Well, take a look and see. I finished the third repeat of Clue C tonight and I am LOVING the results.  My yarn is actually quite a bit lighter than this picture, but I like the way the detail of the stitches is showing up in the picture.  I’m using Regia Color 4 ply in a light neutral colorway.  I’m glad to have found a project for this yarn- I wasn’t having much luck finding a sock pattern that I liked with the very subtle color changes.

Clue D comes out tomorrow- I can’t wait to see the finished product!  After that it’s back to Artichoke.  I finished sock one and I’ve had a bit of trouble with the pattern.  We’ll see if it’s actually the pattern or if I just can’t read as I get into the foot of sock two.



Read Full Post »